Just wondering if you have ever lost a library book?
This might sound weird but I hope you HAVE!
See, I told you that would sound weird.
I'm writing this because my daughter Lillie (going into 4th grade this year) has a missing library book (one of the Stink books). I DO hope we find the book, but I'm not sure we will.
One thing I'd say is if you haven't lost a library book yet you are either very careful and organized or YOU HAVEN'T CHECKED OUT ENOUGH LIBRARY BOOKS! My guess for most of you is you don't check out enough books :)
When we go to the library we check out between 30 and 50 books (we bring 3 large canvas bags). We go to the library each week. So in a month we have had the chance to lose a lot of books. The part I like is we have had a chance to READ a lot of books too!
In the past we would bring the bags of books home and more or less put them on the coffee table right where they are out in the open. Now we have a book case in our living room that we put them on. With so many new books to choose from my children are constantly picking up books and reading. It is not unusual for me to walk in the living room and see all five children sitting around reading (the 2 and 5 year old too! Although they aren't reading in the true meaning of the word. The beauty is they love reading and they don't even know how to read yet!).
I think it is a mistake to just check out 1 or 2 books (or even 3 or 4 books). It is too limiting, moods change and the book you thought you wanted is too long or you don't want to finish it too quickly because you have to make it last until the next trip...With a bag of books you can read and change your mind, pick something to suit you for the moment, try new books you never would have if you only picked your favorite author, learn to read for fun, learn to share and read books at different levels, become a reader, not just someone who can read.
Mr. Kromer
No comments:
Post a Comment