Yesterday I rode down to the local VFW (Veteran's of Foreign Wars) hall and donated a pint of my blood. Blood is an interesting thing. We need it to live, mainly because it passed by our lungs and grabs the good air to take to our muscles and organs then returns to the lungs to get rid of the bad air. It is an amazing system.
There are a lot of different types of blood though. Some people are A or A-, B, and so on. I think there are 6-8 different types. If you ever need blood you need to get the same type of blood or a type that happens to work the same as your type. Ask your parents what type of blood you have, if you don't know then ask the doctor at your next check up.
My blood is rare. It is O- (O negative). The good thing about my blood is that anyone can use it! It is the only blood like that :)
Only 7% of people have my type of blood (% means "out of a hundred", so only 7 out of 100 people have my blood).
The "scary" thing about my blood is that I can only GET blood from O- people. So I hope that other people with O- blood donate! The next time your parents donate ask to go along and see how it is done (you can't donate until you are 16 years old).
For more information go to http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/blood-facts-and-statistics
Mr. Kromer
No comments:
Post a Comment